The 2nd annual Small Business Saturday is tomorrow Saturday November 26th. If you love where you live (like I do!) tomorrow is a day to support your community by shopping locally. Here are 5 reasons to shop your independent local shops from Money Talks News.
- Get free money. For Amex cardholders, shopping local on Nov. 26 can net a $25 credit on a $25 purchase. Check out the Small Business Saturday Facebook page for details on how and where. (FedEx partnered with American Express to offer 40,000 $25 Amex gift cards to non-Amex customers too, but they ran out in about an hour.)
- Find something different. They often have unique items or services you won’t find in the mass retailers. These can make great gifts.
- Preserve unique places to eat, drink, and shop. That uniqueness can also help create a community character and a sense of place. Think of the reasons you like to travel – it’s probably not because the destinations have another McDonald’s or Walmart. Shopping at these stores helps keep them alive, and encourages new ones.
- Make friends. The service is often much better. More than 20 percent of consumers in the American Express survey listed being greeted by name and getting personal recommendations as the primary reason for shopping small. Local businesses depend on maintaining relationships, unlike the giants who sometimes seem too successful to care.
- Improve the community. Small businesses support the local area with their taxes, by creating jobs, and often by buying from and working with other local companies. Many also support local nonprofits and community groups.
I love shopping in my area. My favorite restaurants, thrift stores, eco-friendly store, and independent fashion shops all reside in a 15 block radius of my apartment :). And it’s true that it feels great when you walk into a store and are greeted with a hug when you step in the door.
I encourage you to visit the Small Business Saturday Facebook page; it is super thoughtful! You enter your zip code and a handy little tool generates a list of small businesses to check out and support.
So tomorrow go for a walk and check out what fun boutiques are waiting to be discovered in your hood and then treat yourself to one of your favorite local restaurants for dinner.
Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!